Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Whitby, North Yorkshire - Local messageboard for residents & visitors
  Welcome to our Whitby Messageboard
Bookmark and Share
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Main Site Whitby Jobs Links Directory Buy Advertising FixMyStreet WriteToThem Tax Payers' Alliance Save Whitby's Piers Whitby Gazette Real Whitby  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you approve of this idea?

Yes    
  1 (100.0%)
No    
  0 (0.0%)
Sort of    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: jduck1979 on: Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:31am »

Re-open the Picton to Battersby Railway line (Read 5159 times)
jduck1979
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

Whitby
Re-open the Picton to Battersby Railway line
Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:28am

Originally posted HERE at my Politics Website.

Ever since I can remember, the trip from Whitby to Middlesbrough via train has always caught my attention when it gets to Battersby.... going forwards into Battersby Station, then back the way it came to go into the loop towards Middlesbrough via Great Ayton & Nunthorpe, etc.

Then Google invented Google Earth + Google Maps, and a few years after that they upgraded the local aerial imagery to a standard that made it actually possible to see things.

Looking at the area around Battersby Station, I saw evidence of a dismantled Railway line ploughing onwards from Battersby heading in the general direction of Stokesley & Stockton, etc. A bit of further web searching found the answer to what it was on Wikipedia... the old Picton - Battersby Line

Fairly quickly I started to see potential in re-opening it, for instance:

- The line would spit out on the lines from Stockton & Middlesbrough that join onto the East Coast Mainline.

The old line appears to loop northwards up towards Yarm, Stockton & Middlesbrough.
If the line was re-instated, and connected via a Y-Shaped junction, it would enable a direct link down towards Northallerton, where the vast majority of North Yorkshire County Council seems to be based, and onwards to a much wanted direct railway link to York.

It would also enable more trains to go down to Whitby, as mentioned in the idea to return the Esk Valley Line to double track in certain places.

Not only that, but if you look at the existing line in to Middlesbrough which then provides the main railway links on the existing Esk Valley Line & rail route down to Redcar & Saltburn + Boulby Potash Mine... the only way in & out of it currently is a Bridge over the River Tees between Thornaby & Stockton. Re-opening this line would provide a back-up form of access should unforeseen circumstances put that bridge out of action.

The Administrator.
WWW WWW jduck1979 jduck1979 505982434 391581590 jduck1979 johnd19792003  
IP Logged

jduck1979
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

Whitby
Re: Re-open the Picton to Battersby Railway line
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:31am

Use the poll to vote on whether you like this idea or not.

The Administrator.
WWW WWW jduck1979 jduck1979 505982434 391581590 jduck1979 johnd19792003  
IP Logged

Whitby, North Yorkshire | Whitby Residents | Whitby Tourists | Whitby Tourism | Whitby Restaurants | Whitby Piers | AlltheInterweb | AlltheInterweb Directory | AlltheInterweb Search | More Forums | AlltheInterweb Pixels