Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Whitby, North Yorkshire - Local messageboard for residents & visitors
  Don't forget you can register and contribute to this place yourself.
Bookmark and Share
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Main Site Whitby Jobs Links Directory Buy Advertising FixMyStreet WriteToThem Tax Payers' Alliance Save Whitby's Piers Whitby Gazette Real Whitby  

Restore the footbridge to the East Pier Extension (Read 8989 times)
jduck1979
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

Whitby
Restore the footbridge to the East Pier Extension
Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:48am

Should be a popular one this. It's only been out of action for the last 10-11yrs.
I definately remember the last (and only) time I got a picture from the East Pier extension was during the 2001 Whitby Regatta weekend.
Before that, it had already been out of action for a few more years due to the East Pier being cut off completely from the access ramp (the old reinforced concrete jobbie) becoming structurally knackered.

My current thoughts for a replacement:
Basically a miniature version of the "New Bridge" (that's now getting on for 30yrs old), with railings to match the newly opened footbridge onto the West Pier Extension.
Hide the reinforced concrete of this new structure by cladding it in sandstone to match the rest of the East Pier.

The Administrator.
WWW WWW jduck1979 jduck1979 505982434 391581590 jduck1979 johnd19792003  
IP Logged

Whitby, North Yorkshire | Whitby Residents | Whitby Tourists | Whitby Tourism | Whitby Restaurants | Whitby Piers | AlltheInterweb | AlltheInterweb Directory | AlltheInterweb Search | More Forums | AlltheInterweb Pixels