Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Whitby, North Yorkshire - Local messageboard for residents & visitors
  Don't forget you can register and contribute to this place yourself.
Bookmark and Share
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Main Site Whitby Jobs Links Directory Buy Advertising FixMyStreet WriteToThem Tax Payers' Alliance Save Whitby's Piers Whitby Gazette Real Whitby  

Whitby Business Park expansion (Read 3240 times)
jduck1979
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

Whitby
Whitby Business Park expansion
Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:43pm

Earlier on at the Whitby Gazette website I noticed a story about Whitby Town Council not being a fan of plans for the Business Park...... mostly the cuckoo Labour councillor who claims to have been visited regularly by Aliens.
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/local/town-council-not-fan-of-business-park-...

I left these comments on the article:
Quote:
It could boost trade in the town if the retail park included a "Park & Ride" to cover traffic coming in from Scarborough and compliment the other "Park & Ride" they keep talking about for the other side of town (and let that cover stuff coming in from Teesside + Rydale/York).

And could also help people have more money in their pockets to spend in town from not having spent 6.70 for a return bus ticket to Scarborough, or about 4.39 driving one way to Scarborough (according to the estimated fuel cost feature on Google Map's Route Planner)........ or about 6.93 (one way) worth of fuel getting to Teeside Retail Park.
JohnD. 1:22 PM on 07/06/2013

Quote:
Maybe it could also have some units set aside for local business start-ups (kind of like an overflow of what's available in The Ropery).... perhaps something like that old two-tier place over in Chester's city centre, only styled to fit in with Whitby's local buildings + featuring a lift for wheelchair access to the upper bit.
Or perhaps something similar to a spot called "Hornsea Freeport" I found on Google Earth a couple of months ago, down the coast in Hornsea.
JohnD. 11:18 PM on 07/06/2013

I'll try get round to expanding on them here later.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:22pm by jduck1979 »  

The Administrator.
WWW WWW jduck1979 jduck1979 505982434 391581590 jduck1979 johnd19792003  
IP Logged

jduck1979
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

Whitby
Re: Whitby Business Park expansion
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:58pm

Expanding on the 6.70 return bus fare to Scarborough on the #93 / X93 ARRIVA, doing that once a week for 52 weeks a year works out at 348.40 a year just to go shopping.

Throw in (for example) a 1.70 bus ticket from Ruswarp to Whitby to catch the bus to Scarborough, and the total cost of the trip jumps to 8.40 (if you get off the Bus home from Scarborough past the traffic lights opposite the Bats & Broomsticks B&B, and take the Ruswarp - Whitby footpath home)......... so going shopping in Scarborough once a week 52 weeks of the year that way would set you back 436.80 in bus fares that could otherwise have been spent on buying more stuff locally in Whitby.

Things get worse if you play about with the calculator to see how much it takes out of your pocket if you were to go to work 5 days a week in Scarborough for a year.... 33.50 for the week, 1,742 for the year in Bus fares.

This rises to 42 a week if you throw-in the bus fare from Ruswarp (or anywhere else you spend c. 1.70 to catch a bus to catch the bus to Scarborough)........ 2,184 for the year.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

jduck1979
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

Whitby
Re: Whitby Business Park expansion
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 4:09pm

The 2-tier thing in Chester I was on about - can you imagine having something similar to that on the business park set aside for start-up businesses (like up at the ropery, and to provide more capacity for things like that), with car parking in front of it + a nearby bus stop for a "Park & Ride", and styled more like local Whitby brick buildings?

... and here is that Hornsea Freeport I was on about.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Whitby, North Yorkshire | Whitby Residents | Whitby Tourists | Whitby Tourism | Whitby Restaurants | Whitby Piers | AlltheInterweb | AlltheInterweb Directory | AlltheInterweb Search | More Forums | AlltheInterweb Pixels